Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

Lip Service



“They talk the talk, but they don’t walk the walk.” That is a good way to say, “They’re
just giving lip service.”

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines “lip service” as: support for someone or something that is expressed by someone in words but that is not shown in that person's actions.

God puts it like this: “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” (Isaiah 29:13a)

He goes on to say, “Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught. Therefore once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder; the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish.” Woe to those who go to great depths to hide their plans from the LORD, who do their work in darkness and think, “Who sees us? Who will know?” You turn things upside down, as if the potter were thought to be like the clay! Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, “You did not make me”? Can the pot say to the potter, “You know nothing”?” (Isaiah 29:13b-16)

There is an old saying, “One bad apple will spoil the whole bunch.” That can be seen en masse today. Even those who say they are Christians are giving only lip service to God. The world apart from God has gone to hell in a hand basket, and many in the churches are standing in line with them.

Those who are truly of Christ should stand out like a sore thumb. It isn’t that they are better or more important, but only because when we follow Jesus, we travel a different road.

Most people today don’t want to stand out. They want to blend in. They want to be part of the “in-crowd.” They want to be politically correct. They want to be liked by everyone. We have become so politically correct, we are spiritually worthless. Another saying is, “They could gag a maggot.” I think Jesus had that in mind in Revelation 3:16 when speaking to the church of Laodicea.

“So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.” (NJKV)

How’s that for a vivid mental picture? God does not mince words, even when it isn’t politically correct. He just tells the Truth.

It is almost impossible to find a body of believers today who are actually serious about what a church body should be, as defined by the Bible. Most of it is man-made hoopla.

When speaking to Israel God had this to say about their “church” services:

“I hate all your show and pretense—the hypocrisy of your religious festivals and solemn assemblies.” (Amos 5:2 NLT)

“I hate, I despise your religious festivals; your assemblies are a stench to me.” (Amos 5:2 NIV)

I wonder if He is saying the same thing to most of today’s churches when they all gather on Sunday for their self-promotion, rah-rah activities.

Look, as Christians, there isn’t one of us who doesn’t have room for improvement in our Christian lives when it comes to serving Jesus Christ as He means for us to, and makes so plain in His Word the Bible. I know that. That isn’t the problem. The problem is the vast majority of so-called Christians who make up various church groups who don’t know this and could care less as long as their little world is running smoothly.

Is our Lord’s church in trouble? No, not His true followers. They are sprinkled here and there in various church groups and will stand firm until the Rapture when they are called home. However, the secular church, Laodicea, is leading millions away from God to judgment.

I know in my heart that Jesus is returning soon to retrieve His Church in what the Bible calls the Rapture. I don’t know when and I may or may not even be alive at that time, but it can’t be much longer now. How many of us are looking for Him? Just from listening to people, I feel that many true Christians are eagerly anticipating Jesus return.

The problem arises when that is compared as a percentage of the whole. What is the percentage? I don’t know, but I’m sure the Lord knows. However, I don’t think it takes a mental heavy-weight to conclude that the vast majority of the “church” is not looking for Christ’s return, and don’t give it much thought anyway. These same ones would probably rather He wait, not so more people may be saved, but so they can enjoy their little world that much longer. “Good grief, at least wait until after my vacation Lord.”

Lip Service: You are running for office. I listen to what you have to say and accept one of your cards. I tell you how impressed I am with your stand on the issues, and I’m behind you all the way. Election Day comes and goes. I keep my word and do not vote for your opponent. Unfortunately, I don’t vote for you either, since I didn’t bother to vote anyway.

This is exactly what many are doing with Christ. They praise Him with their lips, and it stops there.

May I provide another example? Thank you: Our group had a special memorial gathering to honor you and your work. We really had a great time. We laughed; cried, shouted, heard a bunch of interesting stories and the singing was fantastic. I’m sorry it wasn’t exactly what you had in mind and we kind of forgot you, but at least we had a good time. Well anyway, we’ve got to run. Have to beat the lunch crowd. We’ll catch you next week though. Have a good one!

This is just about all Jesus Christ, the Savior, gets on Sundays anymore; a little rah-rah gathering once a week and off we go back to our little worlds.

I’ve always wondered if Jesus will return for His church on a Sunday morning while all the churches are gathered together. I guess you know what I’m going to say next. Yep, how many will still be sitting in the pews after the true church is gone in that twinkling of an eye?

There is too much lip service today toward our Creator God. We each, who claim Jesus as our Savior and Lord, need to do a punch list of our lives. We cannot do this for anyone else, and no one else can do this for us. This is solely solo. Are we a “lip service” candidate? We must know now, and we must correct it, if need be. If I need a Savior, He will be my Savior if I ask Him. If I haven’t been serving my Savior as Lord, I need to change that right now. No more lip service.

Jesus is coming soon, and thousands upon thousands of people are going to be horrified because they have been misled by the evil one.

In this country, generally speaking, life is easy, and it is so easy to give lip service to God and go our way. However, when the true Church is gone in the Rapture, hell will be unleashed upon this world and that includes the United States of America. Life will not be easy. It will be the most horrific time this world has ever seen. It will hit every single individual, none excluded. A stand for Jesus during that time will probably cost you your life. The “lip service” days will be over.

While there is still time, and while it is still so easy, put your faith in Jesus now to be your Savior and Lord. Stand for Him, unashamedly. He is coming back.

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.” (Romans 1:16 NIV)

Grant Phillips
Pre-Rapture Commentary: http://grant-phillips.blogspot.com