Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Jesus Is Not A Commercial Product


When my wife and I watch a movie or other program on television, I most always
record it first, especially a ballgame. Now why is that Grant? There is a button on our remote that will “fast forward” through certain parts of the recording. Those “parts” I have in mind are what we call “commercials.” I do not like commercials. If you do not believe me, ask my wife. The first button to eventually wear out on our remote will be that blessed one called “fast forward.”

I suppose I have now revealed my lack of patience in watching anything with commercials. Be that as it may, I love that little fellow … the fast forward button.

I can easily recall the first television set we had when I was just a pup. It was a large square box and had three snowy channels. My Dad ran a television line to the top of the mountain in front of our house. As I got older, I had to go up the mountain, to the top, and clear the line of debris. Now I was raised in eastern Kentucky, so we are not talking about a short jaunt, then back to the couch. No, no, it took a while. One more thing, there was no remote. To turn the TV on or off or change channels, someone had to actually get up, go to the TV and do so.

I also remember seeing the first color television sets in a Sears’s store. “Green” seemed to be the predominant color as I recall.

Anyway, back to commercials. Mankind has always marketed their wares by some method or other, but when the television came into the living rooms, advertising via commercials really grew wings. When it comes to marketing their products through commercials, the business folks are all saying one of two things. Their product is always better, or it is the only one of its kind. Even attorneys and law firms are now permitted to legally advertise. Their message is always, “Let’s go sue someone.” On top of that most all commercials are presented with some form of “sex appeal.”

With commercials, the bottom line is always about selling a product. There is certainly nothing wrong with trying to sell a product and advertising your product (depending on the product and method) so that it will sell and so that you may even increase your sales. Marketing the product is also accomplished by many avenues other than just television. Advertising is everywhere. You know that. From the time we crawl out of bed in the morning until we flop back in at night, we have been bombarded with marketing in some form.

And now I finally get to my point. For several years I have noticed that Jesus is treated by some as a product to be marketed to the masses. Some churches, especially some large ones, seem to actually be marketing Jesus. Some pastors make statements like, “I’m a salesman for Christ,” or something along those lines.

With the long route I took to get here, I now must say that I feel this is just wrong. Jesus Christ is not a commodity. It seems to me that the world has a view of Christianity as one among many religions. Also, the world seems to think that Jesus as God comes in many flavors; i.e. Christian, Jew, Hindu, Confucianism, Catholicism, Islam, etc.

Is it possible that the world equates Christianity and Jesus as a product we are commercializing? Don’t some advertise Him as if they were doing a TV commercial? If this is true, aren’t we saying in effect, “My God is better than yours,” or “My religion is better than yours?” If we are saying that, aren’t we giving them credit for having the same thing we have, but ours is better?

Now I do not actually believe that true Christians have this intent at all. We know that Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship with God in Jesus Christ. Jesus is not “a” god. He is “the” God.

Actually the world’s mindset of the commercialization of the one true God is not new. This has always been going on. Just consider the gods that the civilizations before us had at any one time. “But we are the enlightened 21st century civilization!” Nope. We are no different than those in the days of Paul, Abraham, and Noah. Satan has blinded the world from the beginning in considering all gods, and God, on equal footing. “Just pick one. Any will do,” says that crafty devil.

I am not a salesman for Christ. I am not trying to present Christ to anyone as a god better than what the other guy has. I am simply saying that you are holding on to nothing.

Let me explain it this way. I am not putting Jesus Christ in the lineup on equal footing with All, Fresh Start, FAB, Tide, Wisk, Purex, Persil or any other whitener. Yes, Jesus can make us the cleanest we have ever been, but He is unique, and we are not speaking of clothes. We are speaking of souls.

“Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.” (Isaiah 1:18)

Does this comparison sound silly? It is silly, but no more so than to compare gods with God. They don’t exist. God is very real and Jesus is God.

All the false gods of any religion you care to name are dead and gone. They are in hell today awaiting judgment by the one true God who is eternal. Jesus lives and is in Heaven today.

Jesus is not “one of the boys.” He is not one way to Heaven among others. He is God and He is the only way.

Jesus did not come to earth to die for our sins, rise again and return to Heaven to be a buffet choice for those convinced that He is a better product than the competitor’s because our commercial is better.

“You like FAB. I like Tide. Oh well, they both get clothes clean.” True.
“You like Allah. I like Jesus. Oh well, they both get us to Heaven.” False.

Jesus Christ, who is God in the flesh, came to seek and to save the lost.

“For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.” (Luke 19:10)

It is time for some Christians to stop trying to be sales people. Jesus is not for sale. What He offers mankind is not for sale. He has already paid the price, and it cost Him dearly. Christianity is free, paid for by God Himself. He only requires our belief in Him.

Jesus came to this earth, truly God and truly man, to rescue the perishing. He is not “a” way to escape judgment. He is the only way. All mankind is on the slave market of Satan. Jesus came and paid the price to set us free, but our freedom can only be received by our putting our trust in Him.

Jesus is not an option brought to you by the best commercial presentation. He is God.

One more point. We all have our favorites, whether it is washing detergent, cereal, toothpaste, clothes, cars, etc. We all have different interests in life, different talents, etc. Do you know that many of our likes and dislikes are probably influences that came through commercials we have watched?

Satan is presenting other gods to mankind just as much as Kellogg’s and General Mills present their cereals to mankind via television commercials and other avenues. They want us to buy their product. Satan wants man to buy his product.
Once we recognize that truth, hopefully we will understand that Jesus is authentic and everything else we are hearing is false.

Folks listen to what others say about false gods and false religions and compare them with the true God and Christianity. Most, for whatever reason, will believe the lie over the truth. Maybe it sounds better. Maybe it looks better. Sin has always had an appeal, but the Truth remains.

Jesus is not a commercial product. He is God in the flesh, 100% God and 100% perfect Man. To all who will listen He says, “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” (John 6:37)

Grant Phillips
Pre-Rapture Commentary: http://grant-phillips.blogspot.com
Rapture Ready: http://www.raptureready.com/featured/phillips/phillips.html