Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Home


It is said that, “Home is where the heart is.” With the exception perhaps of those who
have experienced a horrible home life, that is certainly true. On the other hand, I have seen children begging to go home, even though their home life was pitiful, to say the least. Tears of sadness escape the eyes when witnessing such heartbreaking times, especially for the innocent little ones.

I personally have never been homesick as I recall, but I’ve witnessed others who after one night are ready to return home (if they make it through the night). I was eager to leave home as a young man, and never looked back. I have always enjoyed making my own nest and being on my own. I have no desire to visit the old home place of my youth. It wasn’t because I had a bad childhood. I didn’t. That’s just me. I have a sister, who is just like me in that respect, and then another sister and a brother who are our opposites. Neither is wrong. We’re just all different.

However, all this talk of “home,” up to this point, is of earthly matters. On a geographical map we may have been born at point A and now live at point B. We may long for both point A and point B, or even one over the other. It doesn’t matter, because there is also a point C that lies upward of our map. It is called Heaven. Point A is where we lived a short time as a child. Point B is where we live a short time as an adult. Point C is the eternal home with Jesus Christ where we will live forever if we are His.

There are many factors that comprise our home. Family, house, activities (sports, music, etc.), jobs, schools, and much more all go together to make that special environment we call home, whether it is good or bad. We are just as attached to all these things as a baby is to the womb yet to be born. In other words, we are comfortable in our world around us, again good or bad, and we don’t like change.

However, the Bible often speaks of the world as a negative influence upon man. Why? Maybe it is because the god of this world is Satan, and anytime Satan gets involved nothing good can come from it. I’ll provide some examples.

Music is a joy to man. We will make music in Heaven along with the angels. However, not all music is wholesome. While Handel’s Messiah is a blessing to the ears, in-your-face vulgarity rides the notes of much music today.

Sports are physically healthy for young and old. Sports teach respect, hard work, teamwork, and friendly competitiveness. Then Satan’s crowd brings in betting, cheating, anger, fighting, and other negative issues.

Romance is a beautiful thing between a male and female. God designed us this way to wed, have families and procreate. However Satan brings along homosexuality, adultery, spousal abuse, child abuse, and the list goes on.

Local churches are a product of those who are committed to Jesus Christ where the Bible is taught, joyful music is made before the Lord, people are saved and worship is given to our God. But Satan includes false gospels, church splits, his own followers behind the pulpits, etc.

So what on earth does all this have to do with “home” you say? Home is where we desire to be. God calls every person to come to Him through His Son Jesus Christ to be saved. He desires that all are saved, but we must decide where we want to be.

When my wife and I are away on vacation or even a short trip, there is nothing like pulling in the driveway, walking in the door and being home. So the question remains. What do we really want? Where is home? Dave Hunt once stated, “The choice we face is not, as many imagine, between heaven and hell. Rather, the choice is between heaven and this world. Even a fool would exchange hell for heaven, but only the wise will exchange this world for heaven.”

Are we so wrapped up in this world Heaven holds no interest? Is this world really what we want? Unfortunately, there are many people so in love with the things of this world; they would take it all with them at death if they could. Only an idiot would choose hell over Heaven, but millions upon millions will not give up the things of this world. The call of this world rings so loud in the ears of most the words from Heaven are drowned out. To most folks this world is their home.

Even many Christians will have few, if any rewards, because they have listened to the siren call of this world. John MacArthur said, “The Christian life is not adding Jesus to one’s own way of life but renouncing that personal way of life for His and being willing to pay whatever cost that may require.”

Those who are saved have a new desire that grows within, a desire for Heaven. The things of this world don’t seem to matter as they once did. Some things that we once cherished aren’t as important anymore, because we desire to please our Savior and be with Him when we leave this world behind in death.

To the Christian; can you imagine the joy when entering Heaven, and “pulling in the driveway, walking in the door and being home?” Even though we have never been there physically, we will be home thanks to Jesus.

This World Is Not My Home by Jim Reeves

This world is not my home I'm just a passing through
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore
Oh lord you know I have no friend like you
If heaven's not my home then lord what will I do
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore

If we are of Christ, His Spirit is within us, and we are at home in Christ. This world is not our home. Our home awaits us. Soon He will come and take us Home.

“Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. “In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. “If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:1-3)

Grant Phillips
Pre-Rapture Commentary: http://grant-phillips.blogspot.com