Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Why Are We Here


Assuming these statistics to be correct, about 155,500 people die daily in the world and
about 6,000 die daily in this country. Included in these numbers are people of all ages. Also, death comes in many forms, but it eventually comes for us all. Have you ever asked yourself, “Why am I still here?”

I’ve seen friends and family members come and go. Many others I do not know are no longer among us. Yet, for now, I’m still here, and so are you if you are reading this.

Apparently, our days are predetermined by God.

“A person’s days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed.” (Job 14:5)

I have no doubt that God has predetermined that I would be born in a certain family, and in a certain location. I believe God even lays out a path for us to follow in life, and when we stray from that path, His Spirit is still guiding us to accomplish His will.

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:28-31)

Regardless of our age at present and when we die, we’re here for a reason. I grant you, it isn’t always clear, but again our Lord God can be trusted.

Many fine contemporary Christians have passed away while still relatively young. I have scratched my head wondering many times, “They were doing such a great work for the Lord and now they’re gone. Why?”

Regardless of our time on earth, if we are His child, He has a purpose for our life. In my immaturity I may think that another’s life has been cut short if they die ever so young, but even in those situations, Satan cannot annul God’s plan for us.

“As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:10-11)

One of my nephews died young, but before his death many people were mightily influenced by his love for Jesus. Also, he suffered several years before going home to be with the Lord. However, in his suffering I must say again, that so many people observed his love for Jesus, despite his circumstances. I have no doubt that God touched many lives by his life and his death.

Apart from the Rapture, we are all going to die. So what are we going to do with this life that God has given us? Most of us make anything but Jesus our life. Many are consumed with their occupation, thinking it will fulfill them. Some even wrap themselves up in their families and everyday living. God tells us to look elsewhere.

“Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake their ways and the unrighteous their thoughts. Let them turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.” (Isaiah 55:6-8)

We don’t understand many things about life and death. We may not see the total picture of why we are still here and others have left so soon. We often think we can’t make a move until we see the end, but the Scriptures say;

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

If you are a child of God and finding it hard to understand (1) why you are here, and (2) how can He use you to glorify Jesus; I have a suggestion. Why not just ask Him? Jesus said that we can ask Him anything, so why not ask Him to show you why you are really still here? Ask Him what He would like from you and He will show you.

“You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” (John 14:14)

Life is more than jobs, hobbies, vacations, sports, amusements, and anything else. The extracurricular activities in our lives are certainly fine in their own right. They are a part of our lives, but are we still here on earth to play baseball, for example? Maybe we are. If I can glorify Jesus amongst others while I play the game, then maybe that is my pulpit. If I can run a business and glorify Jesus with those I meet, that could be my pulpit. Isn’t it true that we could have many pulpits in our lives? It most certainly is true.

So why am I here? I am here as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ to glorify Him and tell others about Him. If we can go through life with that attitude and determination, our mission is clear. God will take care of the rest, and when my job is finished, He will reward me by bringing me home to be with Him.

I don’t know why some of us live but a few years and others live many years. I don’t know why death comes cruelly to some, while others die in their sleep. These are questions of which only God has the answers. The only thing I really need to know and practice is, “Is my life honorable to Jesus Christ?” Don’t you agree?

Grant Phillips
Pre-Rapture Commentary: http://grant-phillips.blogspot.com